Mary Louisa Wood ARCO, 'Mother of Manx Music' was the first Organist of the Cathedral Church. She established a large choir that was renowned both on Island and across. She lived in Douglas, but had a large singing class of 114 people in Peel, traveling from Douglas to Peel and back to teach on a horse and trap. Ms Wood directed the first Lessons and Carol service in St German's Cathedral in 1885, only 5 years after it had been conceived at Truro Cathedral. She had a massive influence over Church music on the Isle of Man and for this reason we have dedicated the Song Room to her.
The facility is adjacent to the Cathedral and is purposely fitted and finished for the rehearsal of the Cathedral Choirs, the teaching of the Choristers and the administration of the Music department.
The Song School was officially blessed, dedicated and opened by the Lord Bishop of Sodor and Man, Rt Revd. Peter Eagles on Sunday 23rd June, 2019. The refurbishment and upgrade of the Song Room has been made possible with funding from the St German's Cathedral Foundation for Music and the Arts; AFD Software, Ramsey; The Hobson Trust; The Gough Richie Charitable Trust; The Garfield Weston Foundation; the Choir Parents' Association; Friends of Cathedral Music and the KTS Construction Group.
Our treasured Choral Heritage - now, and for tomorrow ......